Monday, October 11, 2010

Bomb The Music Industry! - To Leave Or Die In Long Island [2005]


Punk rock heroes Bomb The Music Industry! are the brainchild of producer and songwriter Jeff Rosenstock of The Arrogant Sons Of Bitches fame and are famous for their DIY ethos, not only producing and distributing all of their albums themselves (and for free!) but also encouraging such quirky gig antics as allowing their fans to bring their instruments and play along with them. Refusing to play any shows other than all ages shows with entry fees under $10, Bomb The Music Industry! have forged themselves a rabid fanbase of listeners who are taken by their commitment to music and their intimate method of bringing it to their fans.

Thank God, then, that their music is also incredible. Embodying everything there was to love about punk rock in the 90s, Bomb The Music Industry! romp through album after album of quality output. Mixing a myriad of styles from hardcore punk to ska to tongue-in-cheek mockeries of synth pop, their greatest quality is undoubtedly the carefree attitude that drips from every group chorus, rapidfire drum fill and the often sarcastic but inherently sincere lyrics.

Oh, and did I mention it's all free?

"'Cause if I wasn't a fat kid in high school, I would have never listened to punk rock.
And if I knew how to throw a football, I would have never played any music.
And if never got my heart broken, I would sing "blah blah fucking nothing."
And if you didn't fuck my ex-girlfriend, I would still owe you three-thousand dollars.
And if I never lived in that van I wouldn't have met Chris or Steve or Alex or James or Middagh.
And if I never worked in a basement I would have never quit my job.
And if I had a big emo band or dropped out of college, I would have never met you, man."

No comments:

Post a Comment